Career and Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer with Us
WORK WITH US
Interested in learning more?
We are currently hiring two positions!
Close Date: February 28, 2020
Laurel Legal Services welcomes those who wish to volunteer time and services in helping our clients obtain equal access to justice. We welcome practicing attorneys, law students, and under-graduates who wish to learn more about civil legal aid and give back to the community. We also welcome trained paralegals as volunteers. We can be flexible in work schedules and can work with you to determine the site that best fits your needs and area of expertise.
Volunteer attorneys currently:
- Help us conduct legal clinics for residents in our six counties
- Handle pro bono cases involving Protection from Abuse, credit card defense, unemployment compensation, bankruptcy, SSI , and expungements
- Provide custody advice in person and over the telephone
- Take reduced fee referrals for bankruptcy, divorce, custody, and support
- Assist with fundraising efforts and resource development
Volunteer law students currently provide thousands of hours of help to our clients under the direction of our attorneys on such legal issues as Protection From Abuse, landlord tenant, employment law, and bankruptcy. Internships for law students, both during the school year and the summer, introduce students to the practice of poverty law through hands on experience.
We are hiring one staff attorney for our office in:
- Clarion County, Pennsylvania
View full job descriptions above.
Working for Laurel Legal Services provides our staff with rewarding experiences. As an employee of our organization, you are helping to ensure fairness for everyone in the justice system.
You are helping to provide the tools and resources to give our clients the chance for new beginnings in the pursuit of the American dream. You are helping our communities and our neighbors by ensuring family safety, food security, and housing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/ TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from a college or university with a B.S. or B.A;
- Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited law school
- A Pennsylvania Law License
- 1-3 year’s legal experience or a combination of equivalent experience or training. Specialized experience in a legal services program or other skills may substitute for amount of time, as determined by the Executive Director.
- This position will be based out of Clarion County, in the city of Clarion, Pennsylvania but may require significant travel within Laurel Legal Services’ 6 County service area.
The DIRECTOR OF PAI AND PRO BONO SERVICES shall be selected by and serve at the will of the Executive Director. He/she shall be directly responsible to the Executive Director in all respects and shall at all times conduct himself/herself and execute his/her duties in a manner consistent with overall program policies as established by the LLS Board of Directors and the Executive Director.
The DIRECTOR OF PAI AND PRO BONO SERVICES shall be responsible for development and oversight of a Private Attorney Involvement (PAI) and Pro Bono program; maintain ongoing recruitment strategy and program for both PAI and Pro Bono attorneys (collectively “Private Attorneys”); and coordinate training for current Private Attorneys.
DIRECTOR OF PAI AND PRO BONO SERVICES will also be Responsible for the overall operation of Laurel’s PAI and Pro Bono programs, including assignment and tracking of cases oversight of legal work and supervision of Private Attorneys; coordination of staff support to Private Attorneys; development of quality control systems; coordination between staff and Private Attorneys components of program.
This is a supervisory position and therefore is not eligible to be a member of the collective bargaining unit. The position is considered non-exempt.
This position will require approximately 75% travel time and overnight travel.
Laurel Legal Services Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.